iPads will be distributed to students in designated grades on a one-to-one basis each fall during the school day. Parents should attend an iPad "Tips and Questions" session in which they will receive information, tips, and receive answers to their questions. Parents and students must sign and return the iPad Loan Agreement and the Acceptable Use Agreement documents before the iPad can be issued to their child.
iPads will be returned during final week of school so they can be checked for serviceability. If a student transfers out of the District during the school year, is expelled, or terminates enrollment for any reason, the student must return his/her iPad and accessories on the date of termination.
If a student fails to return the iPad at the end of the school year or upon termination of enrollment, that student will be subject to criminal prosecution or civil liability. The student will also pay the replacement cost of the iPad, or, if applicable, any insurance deductible. Failure to return the iPad will result in a theft report being filed with the Kenosha County Sheriff's Department. Furthermore, the student will be responsible for any damage to the iPad and/or accessories, consistent with the District's iPad Protection plan and must return the computer and accessories to the School in satisfactory condition. The student will be charged a fee for any needed repairs, not to exceed the replacement cost of the iPad.
Students are responsible for the general care of the iPad they have been issued by the school. iPads that are broken or fail to work properly must be brought to the office for an evaluation of the equipment.
Rules and Procedures for Students assigned a one-to one iPad
• When students are not using their iPads, they should be stored in their locked lockers with nothing placed on top of the iPad.
• Cords and cables must be inserted carefully into the iPad to prevent damage.
• iPads must remain free of any writing, drawing, stickers, or labels that are not the property of the District.
• iPads must never be left in an unlocked locker, unlocked car or any unsupervised area.
• iPads should not be stored in a parent's vehicle due to temperature changes.
• Students are responsible for keeping their iPad's battery charged for school each day.
• iPads should always be within the protective case when carried.
• The keyboards should be charged at least weekly overnight to ensure the keyboard will be ready for school use.
• Students are responsible bringing their iPad to all classes, unless specifically instructed not to do so by their teacher.
• If students leave their iPad at home, they are responsible for getting the course work completed as if they had their iPad present.
• If a student repeatedly (3 or more times or as determined by any staff member) leaves their iPad at home, they will be required to turn in and check out their iPad from the media center for 3 weeks.
• Students are allowed to set up wireless networks on their iPads. This will assist them with iPad outside of school. Internet access will be filtered through the District's content filter.
• Students may save work to the home directory on the iPad.
• It is the student's responsibility to ensure that work is not lost due to mechanical failure or accidental deletion. iPad malfunctions are not an acceptable excuse for failure to submit work.
Rules and Procedures for all Students' use of iPads
• The iPad is school property and all users will follow this policy and the District's Acceptable Use Policy for technology.
• Under no circumstances should iPads be left in unsupervised areas which include, but are not limited to the school grounds and campus, cafeterias, computer labs, locker rooms, library, unlocked classrooms, and hallways.
• Inappropriate media may not be used as a screensaver or background photo.
• Presence of guns, weapons, pornographic materials, inappropriate language, alcohol, drug, gang related symbols or pictures, etc. will result in disciplinary actions.
• Passwords are not to be used.
• Sound must be muted at all times unless permission is obtained from the teacher for instructional purposes.
• Music is allowed on the iPad and can be used at the discretion of the teacher.
• Internet games are not allowed on the iPads. If game apps are installed, they will be removed by the District staff.
• All software/apps must be District provided. Data Storage will be through apps on the iPad and email to a server location.
• Students are not allowed to load extra software/apps on their iPads.
• Students will not synchronize iPads or add school apps to their home iTunes account.
• Students may be selected at random to provide their iPad for inspection.
The District makes no guarantee that the network will be up and running 100% of the time. In the rare case that the network is down, the District will not be responsible for lost or missing data.
The software/apps originally installed by the District must remain on the iPad in usable condition and be easily accessible at all times. From time to time the school may add software applications for use in a particular course. The licenses for this software require that the software be deleted from iPads at the completion of the course. Periodic checks of iPads will be made to ensure that students have not removed required apps.
If illegal software or non-District installed apps are discovered, the iPad will be restored from backup. The school does not accept responsibility for the loss of any software or documents deleted due to reformatting and reimaging.
Upgrade versions of licensed software/apps are available from time to time. Students may be required to check in their iPads for periodic updates and synching.
If an iPad is found in an unsupervised area, it will be taken to the the office, and there may be a fine assessed with the retrieval of the iPad.
Legal Ref.: Wisconsin Statutes
First Reading: October 1, 2013
Second Reading: October 15, 2013
Approved: October 15, 2013
For the Board of Education: Tom Steiner, President; Lynn Jaeger, Vice President; Cole Marshall, Clerk; Bill Barhyte, Treasurer; Dean Troyer, Member