Section 556(b)(3) requires assurances that parents and teachers of Title 1 students be consulted when the LEA Title programs are designed and implemented. Furthermore, Section 556(e) requires that all LEAs convene an annual meeting to which all parents of eligible students from District public and private schools are invited to attend.
To help promote the Title 1 parent involvement in the District, the following activities will occur. While these activities listed are the minimum requirements, they do not represent all the activities which can be utilized to increase parental involvement:
1. Notification of each child’s parents by written letter before the child actually begins Title 1 instruction. Letter to include an invitation to parent to meet with the Title 1 teacher to discuss why the child has been selected to be served by the Title 1 program.
2. Report to each child’s parent on the child’s progress at two (2) scheduled parent/teacher conferences each year.
3. Establish additional conferences between individual parents and teachers when requested by parents.
4. Provide materials and suggestions to parents to help them promote education in the home.
5. Provide timely information concerning the Title I program including program plans, objectives, and evaluations.
6. Accept parents’ suggestions in the planning, development, and operation of the local Title 1 program.
7. Consult with parents about how the school can work with parents to achieve higher pupil success at school and home.
8. Provide timely responses to parent’s recommendations.
9. Provide parents with listing of summer school programs which are held in the District or surrounding area.
10. Test students previously enrolled at the beginning of the next school year.
Legal Ref: Federal Law 556(b)(3)(e)
First reading: June 2, 2009
Second Reading: July 21, 2009
Date Adopted: July 21, 2009
For the Board: Tom Steiner, President; Lynn Jaeger, Vice President; Cole Marshall, Clerk; Bill Barhyte, Treasurer; Sue Giovanni, Member