Summary of Trevor-Wilmot Consolidated Board Meeting
June 16, 2015
The regular meeting of the Trevor-Wilmot Consolidated Board of Education was called to order by President Tom Steiner in the Trevor-Wilmot library at 7:03 P.M. Board members present were Bill Barhyte, Cole Marshall, Tom Steiner and Dean Troyer. Lynn Jaeger was absent. Also in attendance were Dr. George Steffen, District Administrator, Michelle Brown, District Business Manager, Ted Gavlin, Principal, Tracy Donich, Curriculum Director, Pat Elrod, Maintenance Director, Cathy Pieger, Activities Director, Rhonda Jahns, Recording Secretary, Mary Fenske, Mike Fenske and Sue Pigney.
Following the Pledge of Allegiance, the Board voted to modify the agenda by moving Agenda Item X-A "Consider contract with realtor" until after Executive Session. The Board then approved the Consent Agenda which included the revised agenda for this meeting, the minutes from the Board Meeting and Executive Session on May 19, 2015, the minutes from the Board Meeting and Executive Session on June 2, 2015, the Financial Report and the Summary of Receipts, Wire Transfers and Check Register.
The Board approved payment of June bills in the General Fund in the amount of $105,018.61, in the Special Education Fund in the amount of $40,258.29, in the Food Service Fund in the amount of $18,208.80, in the Activities Fund in the amount of $8,079.42, and in the Cooperative Program Fund in the amount of $150.94 for a Grand Total of $171,716.06. Salaries and benefits for May totaled $427,785.48.
Curriculum Director, Tracy Donich reviewed student achievement results from the Measures of Academic Progress test. Students showed outstanding growth in reading and math, exceeding the national average in every grade.
During the Administrator's Report, Dr. Steffen thanked the Board for their support during his eleven years as District Administrator.
During Board Member Comments and Communications, Tom Steiner and Cole Marshall congratulated the eighth grade class on their excellent academic progress.
The Board thanked Dr. Steffen for his leadership and there was a short break during which time refreshments were served in honor of Dr. Steffen's retirement.
During Committee Reports, Tom Steiner summarized the Policy Committee Meeting and the Negotiations meeting, both of which took place on June 10th.
The Board then took the following actions:
- Approved the Option 2 revision of the Technology Plan which provides new computers for the computer labs and the expansion of the one-to-one iPad program into second grade
- Approved revised Rule 443.1 which allows students to wear musical band or concert logos on clothing as long as other requirements of the School Dress and Grooming Guidelines are met
- Accepted the resignation of special education aide, Bev Burrow
- Accepted the resignation of Technology Assistant, Liz McClary
- Approved a maternity leave for fifth grade teacher, Kelly Widmar
- Renewed a contract with CESA 2 for special education services
- Approved a contract for property insurance with the Local Government Property Insurance Fund
- Delegated the vendor selection for maintenance of heat pumps and unit ventilators to the Building and Grounds Committee
- Employed Tara Johnson as cafeteria supervisor and library aid for 2015-16
- Adopted Password Policy 770.1 on first reading
- Adopted Return to Work Policy 722.3 on first reading
- Conducted first reading of Debt Service Compliance Policy 680.1
- Conducted first reading of revised Policy 533, Recruitment, Selection and Hiring
- During Citizens' Comments, a teacher asked to be informed when the Board returned to Open Session
The Board adjourned to Executive (closed) Session to consider personnel matters, deliberate the sale of public properties, and conduct public business when bargaining reasons require a closed session at 8:05 P.M.
The Board returned to Open Session at 8:55 P.M. and took the following actions:
- Approved a contract with realtor, Berkshire Hathaway which expires on December 31, 2015
- Approved salary supplements for teachers and raised the salary base for beginning teachers contingent upon settlement of the negotiated contract with the teacher's union
The meeting was adjourned at 9:05 P.M.