BOARD BRIEF – October 18, 2016
District Administrators’ Reports
Michelle Garven, District Administrator reported on the following:
- Academic and Career Planning - During the 2013-15 budget cycle, Wisconsin passed a budget bill that included funding and legal authority for the Department of Public Instruction (DPI) to develop an academic and career planning process in accordance with Wisconsin Statute sec. 115.28(59). DPI with the assistance of multi-agency partners and representative educators on the ACP Advisory Council, proposed changes to the existing PI26 Education for Employment administrative rule to include the required ACP components. Administrative Rule PI 26 was revised and updated to outline components of a quality ACP program, while maintaining flexibility for design and delivery of the program by local school districts. Additional information can be found at: http://dpi.wi.gov/acp/rule
- The 13th annual Civil War Camp took place on Friday September 30th. Unfortunately, rain kept the students inside for the experience, however they were still able to participate in activities designed to help them understand life as a civil war soldier for the afternoon. Thanks to Jason Reinholz for orchestrating this event.
- Following the boards’ recommendation in late spring, we have been working with Cesa 10 to provide an analysis of the state of our Building and Grounds. At the first board meeting in November, we will be sharing a proposal from Cesa 10 to complete a Facilities Assessment.
Board Member Comments
- Dean Troyer mentioned he and Tom Steiner went to the WSAA/WASB Employment & School Law Seminar on Friday, October 14, 2016. Health insurance was discussed as well as using drones in schools. There was also discussion about making a state law to use a Virtual classroom when there is a snow day. Michelle Garven asked if there had to be a certain percentage that participates.
- Eric Themanson talked about attending the Regional meeting on October 5, 2016
- Academic Achievement Committee October 12, 2016 - Tom Steiner and Lynn Jaeger said it was a good and informative meeting. Tom mentioned that Kerrie Shurtleff is a new member.
- Finance Committee Meeting October 17, 2016 - There was discussion concerning Fund 39. Finances are going down as enrollment goes down.
- Action Items Approved –
- Adoption of 2016-17 Budget
- Set Levy